Sunday, March 1, 2015

Vintage Butterick 6615

I don't know what I'd do if I Etsy didn't exist.  How would I fill my weekday evenings if I couldn't browse countless vintage patterns?  Homework?  As if.

It was during one of these sessions that I came across this particular silhouette that seems to have been pretty popular in the '70s.  [Side note:  I own all three of those patterns and made up the first one, the Vogue, twice, then lent it to my sister and don't know that I'll ever see it again.  C'est la vie.]


Finding myself in need of a spring-appropriate maxi dress, I turned to vintage Butterick 6615 and a length of floral rayon.  
I'm easily influenced by the envelope illustrations

Little white ruffles are a recurring theme in my sewn wardrobe.  They're nice on hems, but I think my favorite place to stick 'em is in a deep neckline.  

It's a little loose in the back, but it tightens up after being washed.  The fabric has a very soft texture which grows a bit as it's worn.

As you can see, I cut view B, and added the useless buttons of view A.  They don't look even, but that's because the bodice curves in under my bust.  I did do some slight modification, mostly changing the gathers into pleats and shortening the sleeves.  In fact, I took about four inches off of the sleeves and lowered the neckline significantly both front and back.  Before these mods, it was starting to look pretty sister-wifely, which is definitely A Look, but not the one I'm usually going for.  

I also made an FBA by modifying the princess seam to match my princess seam block (incidentally the only block I've ever made).

The pattern itself was very simple to sew, mostly because I've done this silhouette before.  The real difficulty lies in the princess seaming and the pivot at the bottom of the side bodice.  It's breezy and feminine, and has a faint whiff of the Regency about it.

I made it two weeks ago, and have worn it four times since then.  That's something I tend to do with all of my sewn clothing!  I get obsessed with wearing each new piece everywhere!

Thank you very much!




No comments:

Post a Comment