Thursday, December 18, 2014

Burda 08/2014 #112 Or, Not my finest hour

From BurdaStyle's August 2014 issue come these pink knickers.

Since making them in September, I've worn them only twice.  I loved them in the magazine and perhaps overestimated how flattering the early-20th-century-newsboy look would be on me.  They are supremely comfortable and kinda kicky, but I can't help feeling enormous in them. And that's after shaving a good two inches out of each leg (which explains why the pleats don't close)!  Originally they were absolutely billowy, even in the weighty polyester/rayon crepe suiting I chose.

I was hoping to look like this:


But it came out a little more like this:

The buttons are rather pretty faux-horn which I took off of a baby-sized trench I bought at the Salvation Army for that purpose.

This was my first attempt at a fly zip, and while it's not entirely even, I'm not unhappy with it.  I tried to rip it out and do it again, but soon realized that a permanent mark would be left from the previous line of stitching.



This is the leg opening.  After the disaster that was the waistband buttonhole, I decided to just go with loops.  And never sew with this particular type of fabric again.



Here you can see just how high the rise is, as well as my zipper!  Um, these will never be worn with anything tucked in.


 The back view.  Part of me loves them, and part of me just thinks that they give me old-lady pancake butt.


I really like them from the side! 
In all, I'm happy that I made these, because I learned how to do a fly zipper opening (although I definitely need some more practice) and also because I think they are a bit fun, especially for lazy days spent baking/decorating or picnics at the park, or any other time I don't necessarily have to look my best, and don't want to wear a dress.  


This picture is just gratuitous.  I accidentally set the 2-second instead of the 10-second timer on the camera--then ran in front rather than just let it go.  I think it's the funniest picture of me, double chin, Febreeze and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment